Peak home buying season is underway and more people are looking to purchase their first homes in Columbus GA this year. Whether they are single, newly engaged or have been married a while, it’s a good bet that these first-time buyers are excited about the opportunity to own a home.
Buying a home is a great long-term investment that can add security to your life. However, it shouldn’t be rushed into. It’s important to keep a clear head to ensure that owning a home will be a satisfying and successful step in life.
If you’re ready to stop renting and buy your first home in 2019, here are some things to consider before diving in:
- Check out your credit report and improve your credit if necessary. Having a good credit score will allow you to get the best interest rates on your mortgage.
- Get the necessary paperwork in order. Your lender may want to see several years of tax returns, recent pay stubs, W2 forms, records of any assets such as savings and investment accounts or any other information that pertains your financial well-being.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage. This will help you move faster when you find a home you want to buy. A common rule of thumb is that your mortgage payment shouldn’t exceed 25% of your monthly income. In addition to saving a down payment, put aside some money earmarked for maintaining your new home.
- Find a good real estate agent. An agent will help you find a house and will represent you throughout the home buying process. The ideal agent will have a record of success as well as experience in the area where you want to buy.
- Give your agent a list of your must-haves, along with your preferences for the area you want to live in, the type of house you want and any other important factors.
- Start shopping for homes. This is the fun part. Your agent can show you homes that fit your parameters and help you decide which one to buy. When your offer is accepted, the agent will help you wrap up the deal.
Get started buying your first home today! Call Rose Anne Erickson Realty at 706-257-1776 to see our listings of homes in Columbus GA.Tags: new homes columbus, new homes columbus ga, new homes georgia
This post was written by Rose Anne Erickson