Tue, 14 May 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
It’s no secret that home buyers these days are spending as much time on Pinterest and watching marathons of their favorite design shows as they are looking for their new home in Columbus GA. Who can resist the wonder of a demolished kitchen raised into a state of the art chef’s dream right before their eyes?
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
We know—the gentle babble of the Chattahoochee River and the slow seasons of the south have drawn you to relocate here. As one of the state’s largest cities, boasting world-class entertainment, Columbus GA has managed to hold on to its historic charm and coveted pace of life.
Choosing a new home in Columbus GA is the right decision and we want to help ease the move! Below are a few tips on relocating.
Finding the Right Place
We represent the areas most desirable new homes in sought after school zones with opportune locations and affordable prices. When relocating, consider your commute to both work and conveniences and get familiar with local schools. Take a look at our helpful links and explore the Local Area tabs for each of our communities online. We’re experts on the Columbus area and we’re ready to help you find the perfect neighborhood to call home!
Packing and Unpacking
The not-so-fun part of relocating to your new home in Columbus GA is the packing and unpacking. The most useful tip is to downsize as you go to lighten the load! Anything unused in a year or more you can probably do without. When you start packing use linens and t-shirts to wrap fragile items. This saves money on supplies and room on the truck! When it’s time to unpack, don’t let boxes sit unopened for too long. The sooner you unpack, the sooner you can file any necessary claims for damage. Most moving companies will have a time limit for this.
On Moving Day
Keep important contact numbers like your moving company, Realtor, and utilities close by. If anything comes up last minute, you’ll have it handy. Pack your overnight necessities; items like medication, first aid needs, contact solution etc. Regardless of travel or delays, you’ll have everything you need for a comfortable night. Don’t forget about your pets! If they’re traveling with you, bring along enough food or treats to take care of them until you can fully unpack their things!
Forward your mail and be sure your current bank has a local branch in Columbus. Updating your address with your credit and debit cards as soon as possible is also good practice or you’ll be stuck at the pump trying to enter the wrong zip code! Print IRS Publication 521 and deduct your acceptable moving expenses when it’s time to file your taxes. Gas, mileage rate, storage and shipping costs can all be deducted!
We have a wealth of experience within our Company. We don't just "relocate you"; we assist you in feeling right at home! Contact us today for a Relocation Packet and see how easy it is to find a new home in Columbus GA!
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
While the spring blooms are budding and green leaves are returning the housing market is showing signs of new life as well! If you’re looking for a new home in Opelika AL, you’re not the only one.
Across the board, real estate markets are seeing improvements and buyers in waiting are not waiting any longer! “Clearly, all the signals are positive”, says Nicolas Retsinas of Harvard Business School in an interview with PBS News Hour, “right now, it seems we're moving in a very positive direction.”
Prices are moving up, mortgage rates are still at historic lows and anxious buyers are vying for the perfect home before someone else snatches it up! From move-in ready to new construction, if you want selection when choosing your new home in Opelika AL you can’t act fast enough!
We’re seeing the fastest rate of recovery since the housing bubble burst. Home prices rose 8.1 percent in January - the fastest annual rate since the housing boom in 2006 according to Standard & Poor’s/Case Shiller 20-city index. While prices are rising, they’re still 29% below the peak during the boom. So as a buyer, you can feel confident you’re still getting a good deal!
To take advantage of the recovering market, buyers want to be able to act fast! Now is the time to secure your mortgage loan. Don’t wait until you’ve found the home you want to start applying. Talk to a mortgage professional early. This will help you get qualified, have your required documents in hand and be more appealing to sellers when presenting competing offers! PLUS it’s the best time to lock-in on your mortgage interest rate—as the market continues to improve, it’s inevitable that rates will rise.
Let Rose Anne Erickson Realty help you find your new home in Opelika AL. We represent the highest quality new construction homes in the Columbus GA and Phenix City AL areas as well as desirable pre-owned homes in established neighborhoods. Request information or visit online today to see what’s waiting for you!
Fri, 12 Apr 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
What is a seller’s market? Simply put, it’s when there are more buyers than homes available. And if you’re buying a home in Columbus GA this spring, that’s exactly what you’ll find. Inventory has dwindled, homes are selling faster, and sales prices are at or above asking price in most cases!
Here are a few tips to help you navigate this market and come out on top.
Find a Realtor – More than ever, you’ll want a professional on your side. This deal may take a little back and forth not to mention the market is changing overnight and you’ll want the most accurate, up-to-date information available when buying a home in Columbus GA.
Get Financing – Your offer won’t stand much chance without a pre-approval letter, and more than likely, proof of funds. Meet with a mortgage professional NOW to get your ducks in a row! It can take a few days just to gather all the paperwork you’ll need to start the process and by then the home you like could get swept away.
Make an Offer – The sooner you can make an offer the less likely there is to be competing offers. Your Realtor will show you comparable sells and help you determine the real market value of the home you’re buying in Columbus GA. Don’t be surprised if it’s asking price.
Make it Favorable – Even a full-price offer without significant earnest money and proof of your ability to obtain financing, may be passed over. Let them know you’re a serious buyer prepared to close the deal. Give the seller a few days after closing to move; it’s a nice gesture other buyer’s may not think of. Think about things you can do yourself before asking for a punch list of small repairs—the less they have to do to make it work, the more likely they are to take your offer.
If you want to know more about preparing an offer that wins or taking advantage of this seller’s market to sell your current home, contact Rose Anne Erickson Realty today!
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
Green cleaning and green living are not unheard of these days. Rather, the whole idea of “green” is quite the trend. Designers, craftsmen, and artisans are all looking to more environmentally friendly materials for everyday items like furniture and accessories. Here are a few tips we found to bring green living into the décor of your new home in Columbus GA.
Bamboo is highly sustainable because it is the fastest growing woody plant on earth. Choose this eco-star to upgrade flooring, for new furniture, and even sheets and towels! As a fabric, bamboo is naturally antibacterial and absorbent; they make great bath towels and cloths.
Painting is core to decorating and now you can go green when choosing colors for your new home in Columbus GA. Look for no-VOC or low-VOC formulas. These emit less of the volatile organic chemicals that can contribute to poor health.
Not only will fabric shower curtains enhance the look of your bathroom; they’re far more superior when it comes to health and cleanliness. Curtains made from PVC can give off a gas during hot showers and tend to collect mold.
Recycled glass bottles and jars make excellent decorating pieces. Place varied heights and sizes clustered together on a trey or charger. Fill them with mixed stems of flowers and leaves for a charming centerpiece. Collect larger jars, with and without lids, to hold cotton balls, matches, band-aids, toothbrushes, and more!
From Chandeliers to wall art, you can find Stray Dog products online at WestElm.com. Their eco-friendly line is handmade from recycled tin, iron, and paper adding an eclectic touch to the décor of your new home in Columbus GA.
Create ambiance with beeswax or soy candles, avoiding those made of paraffin. Look for cotton wicks without metal. And for a twist on traditional lighting, use a full-spectrum compact fluorescent bulb, which mimics natural sunlight, under your lampshades.
Keep using those nesting baskets for decorative storage on your bookshelves or for holding blankets and towels. Just look for those woven with sustainable materials such as water hyacinth and rattan fibers.
Our communities featuring homes built by Grayhawk Homes, the Energy Star Partner of the Year from the Environmental Protection Agency, are the perfect choice for the eco-savvy homebuyer. Call or visit us online!
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
Moving in your new home in Opelika AL is the best time to organize the most used room in your house! The first step to kitchen organization is empty cabinets. So unpack or unload onto your table and in the floor (not on your counters—that’s valuable space you’re going to need). Then, follow these tips to an organized kitchen.
1. Turn your junk drawer into a junk door! Install a magnetic message board in a cabinet door and affix magnetic baskets. Perfect for all those small items coming out of your pockets!
2. Don’t be afraid to reassign space to make it more accommodating. That big lazy susan in your corner cabinet can make reaching pots and pans a breeze! Put a wire rack on the inside of the door to hold your lids and use the spinning shelves for cookware and mixing bowls.
3. Double your space with shelves inside shelves. Add metal risers to store plates and bowls without having to stack them on top of each other. A few hooks under your shelves to hang mugs can free up more space below.
4. Under the cabinet is prime real estate too! A small rod with hooks installed under the cabinet near your prep area is a great place for a hand towel, potholders, and even a few essential cooking tools. Include a basket with everyday spices like salt & pepper!
5. Organize according to seasons, like in your closet. Keep what you use handy. With spring at our fingertips, it may be time to put the crock-pot up top and move the ice cream maker front and center!
6. Toss the cookbooks! Chances are you turn to Pinterest for most recipes these days anyway. Save the family-favorites you actually use and donate the rest to free-up valuable space.
7. The top shelf of the pantry in your new home in Opelika AL can be a great place for those seldom-used appliances and bulk pantry items.
8. Group food by category. Use baskets, trays, & clear containers to maximize space and accessibility. Separating snacks and leftovers into single-serve containers can also help reduce waste!
9. Pull-out shelves in your cabinets are no doubt the convenience secret of the century! They’re not only great for cookware but it makes reaching for big-volume baking supplies like flour and sugar a cinch.
10. Starting with modern-designed cabinets, ample counter space, and state-of-the-art appliances, like those you’ll find in our new Grayhawk Homes in Opelika AL, make organizing even easier! Come open a few doors & drawers and discover the space waiting on you!
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
Spring is in the air and signs are in the ground! We’re approaching the most popular season to market and sell homes in Columbus GA.
To make your home for sell stand out in the list, here’s a few tips from the experts at Rose Anne Erickson Realty:
Clean is key when it comes to selling a home. A clean home provides a feeling of security to a buyer. If they see a tidy home that’s been maintained, they imagine what’s unseen has been taken care too! Do a thorough deep cleaning of your home. Focus on your kitchen and bathrooms. Be prepared that buyers will peek in your cabinets and even behind the shower curtain!
If you’re serious about selling your home in Columbus GA, start packing! Rent a small storage unit where you can safely keep your belongings. Empty your closets to the bare essentials; remove at least one piece of furniture from each room; and minimize the personal collections and photos. This three-step challenge will open up the storage space, living space, and possibilities buyers see when touring your home.
Neutralize your décor. Don’t think of this as your home anymore—It’s a product that you want to appeal to as many people as possible. A fresh coat of paint can do wonders in your home for sell in Columbus GA. Think about removing dated window treatments and rugs. Also replace worn comforters and accent pillows with neutral, solid colors.
Curb appeal can make or break a deal. Buyers start forming opinions before they ever step foot in the door. Go the extra mile this spring and have a professional do the initial lawn care. It’s easier to keep up once the standard has been set. Take advantage of the early blooms and set a flowering pot by the front door. Keep the weeds and debris clear and fill empty beds with pine straw or mulch if possible.
Finally, about 98% of buyers begin their home search online. From there, it’s a game of elimination. If you want buyers to make it from online to inside, proper marketing is essential! The Realtors at Rose Anne Erickson Realty take pride in listing and selling homes in Columbus GA. From experienced advice on staging your home to strategic listing optimization, we’ll get your home sold!
Thu, 28 Feb 2013 by Rose Anne Erickson Realty
The thought of insurance generally stirs one of two responses: 1. Snarls at the thought of paying a premium for something you may never use or 2. Relief that in case you need it, you’re covered. If you fall into category number two, the pros should win you over.
Here’s a look at the pros and cons of obtaining renters insurance when renting a home in Columbus GA:
- Cost: It may be optional depending on your landlord and therefore many renters will forego the protection to put that money toward something else.
- Deductibles: You will be responsible for a certain amount of damage before the policy kicks in. If you only have a couple thousand dollars worth of valuable property in the home you’re renting in Columbus GA, you may not meet your deductible in the case of theft or damage.
- Inventory: If you fail to correctly record your belongings and their value, it could quickly become a con when you file a claim and are unable to recover their value.
- Pay Out: Policies will either pay out actual cash value with depreciation or replacement cost of the current market value. If you don’t choose the right coverage you’ll regret it when the time comes to file a claim.
- Value Recovered: Renters insurance covers the value of your possessions in case of smoke or fire, theft or vandalism, lightning, explosion or wind damage.
- Liability: If someone is injured while in your home as a direct result of your negligence, you’re covered. Even if it is damage cause by your pet!
- Living Expenses: If while renting a home in Columbus GA, the property becomes temporarily unlivable, due to damage from fire for example, your renters insurance will cover your cost of living.
- Affordable: Insurance agencies estimate $16 - $20 per month will cover about $30,000 worth of personal belongings.
Weigh out your personal pros and cons when making a decision. It’s important to talk directly to your insurance agent to determine your coverage and expenses. You will also want to obtain quotes from a couple of sources to compare policies and cost.